Military Academy Nominations
Thank you for your interest in serving our country through the armed forces. Each year, it is my privilege as a United States Congressman to nominate a select group of 5th District men and women for appointment to the United States military academies. Considered to be among the top academic institutions in our country, the military service academies provide a world-class education and have produced some of our nation’s finest leaders.
The nomination process to receive an appointment is highly competitive and time-consuming, and the academies search for candidates with extraordinary academic, physical and leadership skills. If you are a young man or woman who wants to serve our country and meets the basic requirements, I encourage you to consider applying.
The deadline to apply for a nomination from my office is December 1, 2017.
How to Complete the Application Process
Apply to the academies of your choice. Our nation's service academies offer a rigorous four-year college education and an applicant can apply to as many academies as they choose.
- U.S. Military Academy
- U.S. Naval Academy
- U.S. Air Force Academy
- U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Each academy requires the submission of a preliminary application to initiate the admissions process. Preliminary application materials are available from the academies' websites listed above.
Receive a nomination from an authorized nominating source. As a Member of Congress, I am authorized to nominate candidates. The President, the Vice President, and the Secretaries of the Army, Navy and Air Force are also authorized nominating sources. Applicants to the U.S. Coast Guard Academy do not require a nomination.
- To request a nomination from Congressman Quigley click here to complete the online application.
- If unable to complete online application, a printable one is available here.
- The deadline to apply for a nomination from my office is December 1, 2017.
A complete nomination packet must be submitted for consideration. Send your completed application packet to: ATTN: Military Academy Nomination, 4345 N. Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60641.
- Completed online application
- Current photo
- High school transcript
- American College Testing Program (ACT) results and/or College Board Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) results
- IL 05 Codes:
- ACT Code - 7379
- SAT Code - 1677
- IL 05 Codes:
- Resume of extracurricular activities
- An essay stating why you want to attend a service academy (500 words or less)
- Minimum of three letters of recommendation
Interview with Congressman Quigley’s Interview Panel. These interviews will be held at our district office on a Saturday in early January 2018. Students who have submitted their application will be contacted with an interview time. The interview panel will decide which students will receive a nomination by the end of January and students will be notified of their appointment status. Students receiving offers should accept or decline no later than May 1, 2018.
Qualifications to Receive a Nomination from Congressman Quigley.
- US Citizen and resident of the 5th district of Illinois
- At least 17 years of age and must not have passed their 23rd birthday on July 1st of the year of entry
- Unmarried, not pregnant
- Good moral character
- Be academically competitive
- Be medically qualified
- Be physically qualified
Do you have questions? I invite applicants who are interested in applying for an academy nomination to contact my district office at (773) 267-5926 with questions or visit Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.