Build Back Better for Chicago
This week, Democrats took historic action to level the playing field for American families, rebuild our crumbling infrastructure, and combat climate change.
On Monday, I was at the White House, alongside some of my friends from Chicago, to watch as President Joe Biden signed the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act into law. This bill will make life better for millions of Illinois residents by investing in our public transit systems like CTA and Metra, repairing and replacing our crumbling bridges and roads, and providing clean, safe drinking water for our homes, schools, and child care centers.
Here in Illinois, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill will:
- Provide nearly $4 billion for public transit systems including CTA and Metra -- the 4th highest investment in the country
- Invest over $10 billion to repair and replace the estimated 2,374 bridges and over 6,218 miles of highway in poor condition here in Illinois
- Supply nearly $2 billion for clean, safe drinking water for homes, schools, and child care centers
- Expand our electric vehicle infrastructure through a $148 million investment
- Make 2.9 million Illinoisans eligible for cheaper internet access
- And much more.
Just a few moments ago, House Democrats also passed the Build Back Better Act, which works hand in hand with the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act to fulfill President Biden and Congressional Democrats' promises to Americans.
Our country is recovering not only from a once-in-a-century pandemic but also from the worst economic downturn since the 2008 recession. The Build Back Better Act will rebuild our middle class and ensure that American families never get left behind again.
Each component of the Build Back Better Act would individually be a monumental piece of legislation. Passed together, they are nothing short of historic.
From providing universal pre-k to allowing Medicare to negotiate drug prices for seniors, and providing the first guaranteed paid leave in our history -- the Build Back Better Act represents the largest investment in working families in a generation.
Read my Twitter thread to learn more about the life-changing impacts of the Build Back Better Act!
As always, I hope you will take the time to share your opinion with me. You can contact me on social media platforms under @RepMikeQuigley, by email using my website at https://quigley.house.gov/contact, or by phone at (202) 225-4061.